Wednesday, January 13, 2010

SNOW DAY






St. James Park

Today I woke up to several inches of snow and no school so I decided to go explore central London and try to find the Institute of Contemporary Arts for research for my studio class. I was quite proud of myself for navigating there by myself and not getting lost--even though the bus is just a straight shot there :)
I walked all around St. Jame's Park which was so beautiful in the snow and you can see Buckingham Palace, The London Eye and Big Ben all behind the trees that frame the frozen pond. St. Jame's reminded me a lot of London's version of "Green Lake" in Seattle...it is was very busy even during the early afternoon with joggers, kids and people just like me taking in the sights. It was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of the city and just go relax in the quiet park.
My professor had recommended going to the Contemporary Art Insitute for research on our multi functional retail space. I don't know much about contemporary arts but I thought I'd give it a shot and it's free entry :) The institute is in an old traditional building right across the park and consisted of 2 small galleries, a book store, theater and cafe. I have to say I didn't really understand the pieces in the gallery, one was a display of found objects just scattered on a table and the other was a huge collection of sketches and paintings dealing with the idea's of symbols...I think it may have been a little above my head haha. Well it was the thought that counts...






I saw an Anthropologie on the bus on the way down so I decided to venture back up and find my absolute favorite store :) I was in absolute heaven...3 stories. What I love
especially about Anthropologie is that every store is designed differently with an unique concept. The one in London had a very natural, backyard kind of garden feel with a huge 3 story high plant wall (that was watered with the excess rainfall) and lit with loads of natural light coming from the ceiling which was one giant glass atrium. Oh so eco chic. I ended up taking my time walking back so I could continue to window shop slash save a couple pounds :)

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with your photos! Excellent composition. Glad ;) you got a new camera.

    ReplyDelete